JOHN E. M. PURCELL, who is the owner of one of the superior grain and stock farms found within the limits of Haddon township, was born on the land he now owns and cultivates, the same being situated a mile and a half in an easterly direction from the enterprising village of Paxton, Sullivan county, Indiana. The date of his birth was November 14, 1867. He is the son of William W. and Rachel L. (Creager) Purcell. The mother was born March 17, 1848, in Hamilton township, a daughter of Thomas J. and Barbara (Canary) Creager, both born in Kentucky, and who came with their respective parents to this country about the time Indiana was admitted into the Union.

William W. Purcell, the father, was born in Haddon township, Sullivan county, April 23, 1842, and died June 7, 1894. His widow now resides at Paxton. The grandfather, John Williamson Purcell, was born in Kentucky and became one of the early pioneers in Sullivan county. At the time of the Civil war William W. Purcell served as a member of Company D. Indiana Heavy Artillery, enlisting in 1861, and serving until the close of the rebellion. He entered as a private, and was promoted to orderly sergeant. He was in the famous seige of Vicksburg and at the battle of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. On January 23, 1867, he began farming, which occupation he followed the remainder of his life. He began on the same farm where now lives his son, John E. M. Purcell. A successful farmer, at one time William W. Purcell owned about three hundred acres of land, all in one tract. He raised grain and fed considerable stock, and also was a breeder of fine grades of stock, including horses. lie owned draft and English coach horses and a valuable Spanish jack, which animals he exhibited at the several county fairs in this section of the country, capturing many of the premiums offered on such stock. He also raised Shorthorn Durham cattle, which were also registered in the American Stock Book, and exhibited. Politically Mr. Purcell was a stanch Republican and at the hands of his fellow-party workers received numerous nominations. He was president of the Paxton Canning Company, from the date of its organization in 1888, until his death, but this factory is not in operation at the present. In lodge connections he was an honored member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Ancient Order of United Workmen. Of his church faith, it may be said that he was of the Methodist Episcopal denomination, of which his widow is also a faithful adherent. For a number of years he served as one of the stewards in the church of his choice. The children born to William W. and Rachel L. (Creager) Purcell were: John E. M., of this notice, and Stella J., now the wife of Edgar E. Nash, whose family history will be found within this work.

John E. M. Purcell remained with his father, worked the farm and attended to the stock business with him, until the latter's death, since which date the son has conducted the place himself. He now owns two hundred and thirty-five acres, this being a portion of the old homestead. Having been trained in the science of agriculture and stockraising from his boyhood up by his association with his father, he naturally continued to pursue the same line of industry after his father's demise. Mr. Purcell now raises the Black Poll-Angus cattle and about two carloads annually of hogs of the Poland China breed. Besides his extensive farming operations, Mr. Purcell is a stockholder in the People's First National Bank, of Carlisle, and the People's State Bank, of Sullivan. He is the secretary of the old Paxton Canning Company. In his political views Mr. Purcell is a firm defender of the general principles of the Republican party. In the matter of fraternal societies, he is connected with the Odd Fellows Lodge, No. 50, and the Modern Woodmen of America, Camp No. 3332, these lodges being at Carlisle.

He was married December 23, 1897, to Miss Bessie B. Barclay, who was born in Jennings county, Indiana, September 21, 1879, daughter of James W. and Lydia (Ewing) Barclay. The father was born in Mason county, Kentucky, April 15, 1834, and now resides in Bloomington, Indiana. The mother was born in Decatur county, Indiana, May 1, 1841, and died September 19, 1907, in Louisville, Kentucky, her home, however, being at Bloomington, Indiana. John W. Barclay has always followed the independent life of a farmer. Mrs. Purcell received her education at the public schools of Jennings county, Indiana, and graduated from the Carlisle high school with the class of 1896. Her parents came to Sullivan county from Jennings county in 1893, and the parents and one brother moved to Bloomington, Indiana, in 1903. Mrs. Purcell is one of a family of eight children, four of which are now living: Luella B., now a widow; Alice C., widow of A. D. Giboney, residing at Carlisle; Mrs. Purcell; Joseph Knox, of Bloomington, Indiana, now practicing law; he is an athlete and at one time held the long distance run of the state of Indiana, being one of the Hoosier state's best athletes. From 1902 to 1905 he was captain of the track team at Bloomington and football manager in 1905. Mr. and Mrs. Purcell have two children: William W., born November 16, 1898, and Paul Barclay, born October 31, 1902. Both Mr. and Mrs. Purcell are members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Paxton, of which he was a steward.